Summer Herb & Milk Brined Chicken
By Apron & Ink
20 mins (overnight marinate)
1 whole Bare Bird chicken, 1.5kg
1 tbsp dried tarragon
1 tbsp dried rosemary
3-4 fresh sprigs of thyme
zest of one lemon
1 litre milk
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 bay leaf
3-4 fresh rosemary sprigs
juice 1/2 a lemon
6 lemon leaves
1/4 c of white wine
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp melted butter
1 clove garlic, finely minced
- Season chicken all over with salt and pepper, under the skin and inside the cavity.
- Place chicken in a glass bowl or plastic container with a well sealing lid.
- Mix tarragon, rosemary, thyme and lemon zest into the milk then pour the milk mixture over the chicken, covering it completely.
- Seal the bowl and let the chicken infuse, refrigerated overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
- Remove the chicken from the milky marinade and place breast-side up into a baking tray or roasting pan. Combine olive oil, melted butter, wine, minced garlic and lemon juice, then rub all over the chicken, under the skin and inside the cavity. Again, season well with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the cavity with the crushed garlic cloves, remaining rosemary sprigs, bay leaf, lemon leaves, and the squeezed lemon half. Tie legs together with kitchen string.
- Roast for 1 hour and 20 minutes, basting half way through cooking time, or until juices run clear when chicken breast is pierced with a skewer.
- Remove from oven, cover with foil and allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serve drizzled with pan juices and roasted vegetables, steamed rice or creamy mashed potatoes.