Roast Chicken with Mascarpone and Herbs
By Create Cook Share
- 1 x The Bare Bird Whole Chicken
- 4 medium white potatoes, quartered
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 250g mascarpone
- 250g radishes – 1 bunch
- 400g asparagus spears – 2 bunches
- 100ml chicken stock
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 180C fan forced and line baking tray with baking paper.
- Combine in a bowl the mascarpone, lemon zest, thyme, tarragon, garlic, sea salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in the centre of the baking tray. Slip your hand beneath the chicken skin and pull it away. Spread three-quarters of the mixture in an even layer. Add the remaining into the cavity of the chicken.
- Tie well the legs together with butcher’s string and then rub a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil into the skin and season with sea salt and pepper.
- Place the potatoes in a bowl and drizzle with the remaining oil and season well. Place around the chicken and bake for 1 hour. Cover chicken loosely with baking paper pr foil once it is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and add the asparagus spears and radishes to the baking tray. Pour over the vegetables, the chicken stock and lemon juice. Season and then toss to coat everything with the juices. Bake a further 15-20 minutes.
- Once baked, remove from oven, allow to rest for 5 minutes and serve immediately with spring vegetables, potatoes and juices from the tray.
- Substitute for tarragon can be basil, chives or wild garlic
- Use dairy free alternative to mascarpone eg. Dairy free cream cheese