6 Bare Bird chicken drumsticks (1 pack)
2 large stalks lemongrass, trimmed and finely grated
3 cm cube fresh ginger, peeled and grated
Zest of 1 lime, organic if possible
½ small onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp fine sea salt
3 tbsp coconut aminos*
2 tbsp extra extra-virgin olive oil
Fresh coriander or parsley and lime wedges, to serve
Coconut Aminos is a soy sauce alternative found in the health food section at the supermarket. Alternatively, you may use tamari (the gluten-free version of soy sauce), but reduce sea salt to 1 tsp and add 1 tsp honey to marinade
- Trim the stems off the lemongrass and remove the tough outer layers. Cut off the woody end of stalks so that you’re left with 10-12 cm of the bottom white portion. Grate with a microplane and place in a large bowl.
- Grate ginger and lime zest into bowl and add chopped onion, garlic, sea salt, coconut aminos and olive oil. Stir to combine.
- Place chicken drumsticks in bowl and use hands to coat all sides. Let marinate at least 30 minutes (room temperature) or covered in fridge up to 24 hours (overnight is ideal).
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C fan-force and place drumsticks on a wire cooking rack with a foil lined tray underneath.
- Bake for 20 minutes, flip drumsticks over and baste the other side with any remaining marinade and bake for another 25 minutes. Finish with an additional 3-5 minutes under the grill to get a nice crisp brown skin.
- Serve with fresh herbs and lime wedges.
Take a look at these recipe ideas or have a browse through our whole range of meal inspiration ideas.