1 whole Bare Bird chicken
250 mL (1 liquid cup) chicken bone broth
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
3 zucchinis, peeled (reserve peels), roughly chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 large swede, chopped into bite size pieces
3 stalks celery, chopped into bite size pieces
3 carrots, chopped into bite size pieces
6 sprigs fresh thyme
2 teaspoons Herbamare or fine sea salt
2 cups green beans, ends trimmed and roughly chopped
1 bunch kale (optional)
Fresh thyme and parsley for garnish (optional)
- Night before or morning of, put whole chicken in crockpot and cook on low for 7-10 hours.
- Pick chicken meat from bones, reserve meat, strain broth into a glass container.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large soup pot or casserole pot over medium-high heat. Add the chopped zucchini (except peels) and sauté, stirring frequently until tender and lightly browned, ~5 minutes.
- Remove zucchinis from heat and transfer into a blender with 1 cup chicken bone broth and Herbamare/salt, blend until smooth, set aside.
- Heat the other tablespoon of olive oil in your pot over medium-high heat and add the onion, sautéing until browned, 5-7 minutes.
- Now add the swede, celery and carrots, stir to mix through. Add the zucchini-broth puree to the pot and reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the veggies begin to soften.
- Add the chicken, green beans, zucchini peels (zoodles) and kale (if using) to the pot, stir through, cover and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until beans are tender and kale has wilted.
- Remove thyme sprigs before serving and top with additional fresh thyme or parsley if desired. Take a moment to appreciate the aromas of your stew and enjoy!
Serve with a generous drizzle of olive oil or some sliced avocado if desired.