Comforting Chicken Soup
By SoleFire Wellness
- 1 whole Bare Bird chicken
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 5 carrots, julienned medium
- 6 celery stalks, diced medium
- 2 large potatoes, diced small (optional)
- 3 zucchinis, spiralized
- Fresh chopped parsley, to serve
- Place the chicken into a large pot, fill with filtered water until chicken is just submerged, add bay leaves and salt. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer on low for about 1 1/2 hours, until meat is tender.
- Carefully remove the cooked chicken from pot, allow to cool for a few minutes whilst continuing to simmer broth on the stove top.
- Once chicken is cool enough to handle, remove chicken meat from carcass, reserving all bones and cartilage. Place chicken meat in a sealed container and refrigerate.
- Add bones and cartilage back to pot along with garlic and onion and simmer on low, uncovered, for another 2.5 hours until liquid has reduced by 1-2 inches.
- Strain and discard bones, garlic, onion and bay leaves so that you are left with a clear golden broth.
- Add carrot, celery and potato (if using) to broth, increase heat and simmer for about 10-20 minutes, depending on how soft you like your veggies.
- Finally, add the chicken meat back to the pot, stir through zucchini ‘noodles’ to gently soften and serve with a sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley.