Chicken Thigh Fillets with Okra Saffron & Date Cous Cous
By Pierre Khodja
1kg boneless The Bare Bird chicken thigh fillets, halved
1 brown onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large red capsicum, cored, seeded & sliced
4 tomatoes, seeded & diced
7cm piece fresh ginger, peeled & grated
1½ tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1½ tbsp honey
Juice of ½ lemon
400g okra, trimmed
60g roasted flaked almonds
Salt & pepper, to taste
Pinch saffron threads
½ cup boiling water
1 cup instant couscous
1 clove garlic, crushed
6 fresh dates, roughly chopped
Juice & zest 1 orange
Juice & zest 1 lemon
4 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp chopped fresh mint
½ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Place chicken thighs, onion, garlic, red capsicum, tomato, ginger, cinnamon, paprika, coriander, cumin, honey, lemon juice and 600mL water in a heavy-based pan. Heat to just simmering, cover and cook for 1.5 hours, stirring occasionally, adding more water if necessary.
- Add okra and half the almonds and cook for a further 15 mins. Season to taste.
- Soak saffron in ½ cup boiling water for 2 mins, then remove.
- Place couscous in bowl with garlic, dates, remaining almonds, and orange and lemon zest and juices.
- Pour saffron water over all dry ingredients until just covered, mix well and cover with plastic wrap to steam for 15 mins. Remove covering, fluff with hands or fork. Add olive oil and chopped herbs.
- Serve chicken straight from pot with couscous on side.