12 The Bare Bird tenderloins
3 tbsp salt
1 egg, beaten
2 heaped c flour
2 tbsp corn flour
1 tbsp black sesame seeds (from an Asian grocer)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sweet paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp white pepper
Sunflower oil for frying (or vegetable/nut oil of your choice)
5 stems of spring onion, cut into thumb sized lengths
2 tbsp honey
1 small bottle (300g) Kewpie mayo (or brand of your choice)
80g Gochujang (Korean) hot sauce (or more to taste)
1 tsp sesame oil
- Mix the mayo, hot sauce and sesame oil together to make the dipping sauce. Mix buttermilk and salt together to make a brine. Place the tenderloins in the brine and soak for 30-60 minutes.
- Add the beaten egg to the buttermilk and chicken mixture.
- Mix together the flours, baking powder, herbs, spices and sesame seeds.
- Lift the tenders out of the buttermilk one at a time and place in the flour mixture. Press the flour mixture hard on to the tenders.
- Heat the oil in a pot or frying pan with high sides, shallow fry the tenders turning once or twice until they are golden. Remove tenders from oil and place them in a bowl on top of the spring onions.
- While the tenders are still hot, drizzle with honey.
- Gently toss the chicken and serve with the dipping sauce