Chicken & Chard Tart
By Apron & Ink
1 cup chickpea flour
1 cup all-purpose gluten free flour
2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup cold water
400g Bare Bird chicken thigh fillets
1 bunch rainbow chard, leaves and stems chopped
2 large red onions, sliced
1 clove of garlic, finely minced
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 cup mozzarella, roughly shredded
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place the flours, butter and sea salt into a large food processor and blitz for about 10 seconds.
- Pour the water in slowly while the machine is running to form a soft, pliable dough.
- Roll out the dough between two sheets of baking paper and place into a 20cm tart pan.
- Prick with a fork and blind bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven to cool while you prepare the filling.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a large frying pan and cook the chard for 5 minutes or until wilted and the stems are tender.
- Cool slightly and then stir through the garlic and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place into a large bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, add onions and 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Then reduce the heat to low and add the balsamic vinegar and water and cook for a further 15 minutes or until dark and caramelised.
- Add the onions to the chard and stir to combine.
- Add chicken thigh fillet to a pan with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and cook on medium high heat for about 5 mins on each side, or until browned.
- Remove from pan and roughly shred into bite sized pieces.
- Add the chicken to the onion and silver beet mixture. Season to taste one last time.
- Scatter a few pieces of mozzarella on the bottom of your tart shell and then place filling on top, finishing with the pine nuts and remaining mozzarella.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 180°C.