- 800g The Bare Bird Chicken Thigh Fillets
- 300ml fresh cream (dairy free option / coconut cream)
- 100g plain flour (gluten free option)
- 300g celeriac, grated
- 2 leeks, trimmed, quartered and sliced
- 1 litre Chicken stock
- 1 tsp ground garlic or garlic granules
- ¼ cup fresh thyme leaves, stalks removed
- ½ cup fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 50g butter (dairy free option)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 4 Puff Pastry Sheets (gluten free option)
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Add chicken thigh fillets to chicken stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Remove chicken and using two forks roughly shred into chunky pieces or using a knife, dice into chunky pieces. Set aside the stock for later.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the leeks. Cook gently for 3 minutes until softened. Stir in the flour and cook for a further minute then gradually add the cream stirring continuously.
- Add only the half the chicken stock, celeriac, thyme, parsley and garlic granules. Cook stirring over a low heat a further 3 minutes or until it thickens. Stir through the lemon zest and chicken pieces. Season with plenty sea salt and pepper and turn off heat.
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan forced. Grease a pie dish 30cm in diameter and place the first pastry sheet (You may need to add a second pastry sheet if it does not cover the entire base and sides of the pie dish). Pour into the pie dish the chicken filling.
- Cut the remaining pastry sheets into long strips. Brush the lip of the pie dish with a little of the beaten egg, then press down a strip of pastry around the edge to cover it. Brush the pastry with more egg, then weave the other pastry strips under and over each other, pressing down at the edges to make a lattice effect.
- Brush the pastry lattice all over with the remaining egg and bake for 45-50 minutes, until the pie filling is bubbling and the pastry is golden.
Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.