Chicken Bone Broth
By SoleFire Wellness
1 whole Bare Bird chicken
2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
2-3 carrots, roughly chopped
1 onion, quartered
2-3 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
½ bunch parsley
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon sea salt
Additional chicken parts, ie: feet, necks, wings
1 teaspoon peppercorns, lightly crushed
1-2 sprigs fresh or dried rosemary
1-2 sprigs fresh or dried thyme
- Place all ingredients in a large stockpot (preferably 6+ litres in volume) and fill with water until chicken is just submerged. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Skim off any foam that’s bubbled to the surface and lower heat to a gentle simmer with the lid slightly ajar for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, carefully remove whole chicken (use a meat thermometer if you’re unsure if it is cooked through), set aside to cool slightly. Continue to simmer veggies in liquid.
- Once chicken has cooled enough to safely handle, reserve the meat and place the bones, carcass, joints and cartilage back into the pot. Put meat in a sealed container in fridge.
- Simmer the remaining broth with the lid removed (may need to increase heat slightly) for another 2-3 hours to yield a rich, golden result.
- Remove pot from heat, allow to cool slightly and strain through a fine sieve into large jars or glass containers. Place in fridge to cool completely.
- Once cooled, a layer of fat will solidify on top. You can either scoop it off (store in fridge up to 1 week) and cook with it, or leave in broth when reheating for added flavour and nutrition.
- Store sealed broth in fridge for up to 4 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.