Chicken Bastilla with Cumin Eggplant Skewers
By Pierre Khodja
- Chicken Bastilla
- 4 Bare Bird chicken breasts
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- Good pinch saffron
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Salt & pepper
- 4 eggs
- 25g unsalted butter
- 75g flaked almonds, toasted
- 1 bunch coriander
- 300g filo pastry
- 150g melted butter
- Icing sugar and ground cinnamon to dust
- Eggplant Skewers
- 6 Lebanese eggplants chopped into 4cm chunks
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Pinch chilli powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Put the chicken in a saucepan with onion, ginger, saffron, half the coriander, cinnamon and parsley, then season with salt and pepper. Add enough water to cover the bird and simmer gently, covered, for 55 mins or until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the chicken from the saucepan, transfer to a plate and allow to cool. Simmer the juice until reduced to a thick consistency.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Beat the eggs and 25g of butter with the cooking juice and cook over a low heat, stirring until scrambled, then remove from heat.
- Shred the cooled chicken and add to the egg mixture. Add flaked almonds and remaining coriander.
- Lay flat one sheet of filo pastry and brush with melted butter. Place another sheet on top and brush with melted butter then repeat two more times.
- Place ¼ of chicken mixture in the centre of the pastry and fold the sides to enclose the filling.
- Ensure the pastry parcel is fully sealed, brush with a little more melted butter and place on a baking tray. Repeat the process 3 more times.
- Place baking tray in the oven and cook for 35 mins until pastry is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, combine eggplant with cumin, garlic, chilli powder, salt and olive oil.
- Preheat a barbecue or grill.
- Thread the eggplant onto the skewers and grill for 2-3 mins, turn to brown and cook through.
- Remove the Bastilla from the oven, dust with cinnamon and icing sugar and serve with eggplant skewers.