4 Bare bird chicken thigh fillets
2 pears, halved
1 large red onion, cut into quarters
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon crushed pink peppercorns
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
200ml of port
200ml chicken stock
2 teaspoons sea salt
teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
few sprigs of thyme
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the pears, port and brown sugar in a bowl. Give it a stir to make sure the pears are well covered. Set aside until ready to use.
- Season the chicken thigh fillets well with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in an ovenproof pan or casserole dish over high heat and cook the thighs, turning every now and then, for about 5 minutes, or until nicely golden. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Scoop the pears out from the port mixture, and in the same pan, cook the pears, cut side down, for a minute, then add the onions, garlic, thyme, port mixture, stock and crushed pink peppercorns, and bring to the boil. Add the chicken back to the pan and toss through.
- Place the pan in the oven and cook for 25–30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened. The pears should be tender but still have a bit of bite to them.
- Serve with fresh bread and a bottle of good robust wine.