The Bare Bird Chicken Pie
By Ray Capaldi
- 750g The Bare Bird chicken thigh fillets, diced (you can use breast if you prefer)
- 60mL olive oil
- 20g butter
- 100g carrots, diced 1mm thick
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 100g button mushrooms, quartered
- 250mL The Bare Bird chicken stock
- 200mL pure thickened cream
- 2g chopped fresh chives (if needed)
- 2g chopped tarragon (if needed)
- 3 sprigs Thyme
- Salt & white pepper, to taste
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 sheet frozen ready-rolled organic puff pastry
- 1 sheet shortcrust pastry
- Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan-forced.
- Heat oil and butter in deep frying pan over medium–high heat. Add chicken and onion. Cook, stirring, for 5–7 mins or until browned.
- Add leek, button mushrooms, carrot and cook, stirring for 5 mins or until vegetables are a little soft. Bring to boil. Stir for 1 min.
- Add stock and cream. Bring to boil, add thyme. Boil for 20 mins until mixture is thick. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Stir in chives and tarragon, if using, and season with salt & pepper.
- Line 4 × 7.5cm (base) pie tins with shortcrust pastry with 1–2cm overlap on dish edge. Fill tins with cooled chicken mixture.
- Brush edges of pastry with egg. Top with puff pastry, folding puff pastry over excess rim and pinching together. Brush with egg.
- Bake for 25–30 mins or until golden.
- Serve with winter vegetables.